Thursday, March 13, 2008

3/13/08 Day Four of the Challenge

by Yolanda M. Dockery, Executive Assistant to the Executive Director, Family Investment Administration, Maryland Department of Human Resources

Well, I learned some new things about myself yesterday. When I am unable to properly nourish myself I can drink a whole two-liter bottle of water in an attempt to make up for the missed food. I was amazed. AND there are 37 cookies in a pack. Yes, I had to COUNT THEM on day ONE of the challenge to ensure that I properly rationed them out so I’d have a few each day. I don’t think I’ve done either thing before in LIFE! At least not that I know of. Okay, I FINALLY had the time to make my much anticipated and desired Tuna/Macaroni salad. Unfortunately my four cans of tuna were not enough to adequately season the whole two pounds of elbow macaroni but I was able to utilize a little over half of the bag. I was sure to boil and taste test the dollar store macaroni BEFORE I put my tuna in it. If the macaroni didn’t taste good I was going back to plan “A” which was to have tuna sandwiches. I only decided to add the macaroni because I thought it would be more filling and allow me to stretch my four cans of tuna. Well, the macaroni tasted fine to me. I ate a little of it for my dinner last night along with my water and a few of my lemon cookies I thought to myself you mean all this time I’ve been paying $1 or more for macaroni and I could have been getting it for $.50 at the dollar store. I’ll have to keep that in mine. I couldn’t believe it. I decided to “share” the remaining pasta up for my very HUNGRY husband who has not had a real cooked meal since the challenge began. I thought cooking might be too much of a “challenge” for me during THE CHALLENGE. So, I have opted not to do it. So, he’s been dining at the “Left Over Diner” all week. Poor, man. You’ve gotta love him! I’ll be sure to cook some fabulous meals starting next Monday. So, needless to say when I was done preparing the salads there were two separate containers of macaroni/tuna salad in the refrigerator. I put one on the top shelf for him. The top shelf version had all the ingredients that should be in the tuna/mac salad. The bottom shelf version which was mine had only the basics that I could afford on my budget, tuna, mac, mayo and relish – no onions, mustard or special seafood seasoning etc. I decided to switch up a bit today and have some applesauce for breakfast. I must admit for the first time ever this week that I’m looking forward to my lunch today. As I was making my lunch this morning I was paying special attention to how much I was putting in my container and thinking at the same time how many days remain on the challenge. Also, I think I’m being “BLESSED” for standing up for such a good cause. I looked at my grocery store circulars last night and all my favorites will be on sale next week. I CAN'T WAIT TO GROCERY SHOP NEXT WEEK! I’ll get my grapes, salad, tomatoes, yogurt, salmon, cracker barrel cheese, Pepsi, Stouffer lunch meals etc. WOW!!!!!!!!! I was SOOOOOOO EXCITTTED. You think if I go to sleep now when I wake up it will be Mon. and the FS Challenge will be over and I can shop and eat normally again????? I’ll be sure to make up for lost time next week. Well, that's all for now.

No comments: