Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Food Stamp Challenge Experience & Lessons Learned

by Peter Buesgens, Director of the Worcester County Department of Social Services

What I learned was it is hard to eat healthy on that amount [$21 per week], fresh meats and vegetable/fruits are cost prohibitive. High carb foods tend to be the cheapest. Also, buying in bulk is difficult. I could have gotten a good deal on ten cans of Ravioli for $10 but that would have taken half my budget for just one type of food. $21 is not conducive to the efficiency of bulk buying. I probably lost a few pounds in the process despite eating a lot of high carb food. I didn't keep a list but I ate: many cereal breakfasts, sometimes with milk, sometimes without. Red beans and rice got me through about half of my dinners. A jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread was my staple for lunch. Spaghettios was my change of pace meal at .89 cents a can. Non-brand-name soups were also good for a change of pace or to have something a little extra with a meal. Glad it's over, I'm heading for a Chinese buffet for lunch today!

No comments: