Friday, March 14, 2008

The Food Stamp Challenge - Questions

by Father Joe Muth - St Matthew's Catholic Church, Baltimore City

Yesterday was the first day I began to worry if I had enough food to last for the week. I have $1.74 left from my original $21.00 and I already have started thinking about how I want to spend it. Yesterday was also the day I really started feeling hungry in the afternoon. I also have begun to wonder if I run out of food before Sunday do I have the guts or courage or humility (or whatever it takes) to go to a soup kitchen to supplement my food for the week. If I have to do something I think I would prefer a soup kitchen to getting a bag of food from a food pantry because I'd feel like I was taking food from someone else. There has been food all around me this week but I haven't participated because I am trying to be faithful to the challenge. I told myself that the only food I can have this week is the food that I bought with my $19.26. So even if I have a snack at night I have the peanut butter and crackers that I bought. However, I ask myself when I snack, if I have this snack now will I still have enough food to get to the end of the week, so I am cautious about how much I snack.

I have never asked these questions before. I think the challenge has already had its effect on me.

No comments: