Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Food Stamp Challenge - Spilling the Beans

by Kimberley Chin, Director, Maryland Hunger Solutions

The bean fiasco seemed to spill over into the morning. Once again I wonder when people have the time to prepare food, care for their children, keep the house relatively clean, maintain relationships and work full-time jobs. I threw the beans into a container to take with me for lunch, made my now daily breakfast sandwich of egg on toast, put some carrots into a bag and prepared for the day. The boys were fed, clothed and though a few minutes late, I flew to the car to get to work. As I was driving down the highway, it suddenly came to me that I had forgotten my lunch on the kitchen counter. On a normal day I would simply shrug and go out for lunch at a nearby eatery. Today I just thought about how hungry I would be if I didn’t have my food. I turned the car around and headed back home. As I picked up my lunch and prepared once again to head back into traffic to get to work, I thought about the choice that I had made. If I worked in a position where I had to punch a time clock, got docked for coming in late or had the threat of losing my job for coming in late, I can imagine making another choice. It would be better to go hungry than lose my job. It might be better to use a little of the rent or electricity money to buy a small snack than turn back and end up late for work. This exercise has been about the choices we are forced to make when we have limited resources. It is also about the choices this country can make to ensure that people have enough to eat and don’t have to worry about hunger. By the way, although edible, I think that my beans could probably be cooked some more!

No comments: