Friday, March 21, 2008

The Food Stamp Challenge - A Week in Review

by Kimberley Chin, Director, Maryland Hunger Solutions

The last days of the Food Stamp Challenge: In many ways getting through the weekend was more difficult than it had been during the week. Without a strict work schedule, I constantly felt the need to snack or wander into the kitchen for something to eat. Crackers and carrots aren’t as exciting on the weekend when you face a kitchen full of different foods! Throughout the week people asked me if my mood had changed because of hunger or my change in diet. My family and coworkers would probably agree that I was slightly more moody than usual, but I don’t know if I can truly attribute that to this Food Stamp Challenge. My first meal off the challenge was a dinner at a community meeting and I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. When I got home, however, in the privacy of my kitchen, I felt like someone who had been rescued from a deserted island and sampled (gorged on?) many of the foods that I had missed throughout the week! I have now officially completed the Food Stamp Challenge and look forward to eating a wider variety of more nutritious food, but for so many others, there is no choice. This Challenge has raised my awareness of the difficulties that people face every day to feed themselves and their families. Food stamps are the first line of defense against hunger, but the benefits are not sufficient to help people eat healthy meals throughout the month. We must ensure that congress acts quickly on a Farm bill that can help make food stamps more accessible and adequate to the needs of hungry individuals and families in this country.

No comments: