Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Food Stamp Challenge - Feeding the Children

by Kimberley Chin, Director, Maryland Hunger Solutions

I have determined that I do not like white bread and peanut butter! I had optimistically brought a peanut butter sandwich with carrots for lunch, after a breakfast of a scrambled egg on toast. Not only did I have to try to eat the sandwich, I had to do it in front of about eight other people who were having a wonderfully catered lunch for a meeting. The good news is that I then had the opportunity to talk about the Food Stamp Challenge and the issue of hunger at this meeting. The bad news is that I was then starving by the time I got home and had my dinner of spaghetti and meat sauce. Also, since my children are not on the challenge, they are very curious about my separate meals. Today they said that they wanted spaghetti and meat sauce also, so of course I served them some of my dinner - realizing that this will cut into my supply for the week. I wonder how many mothers make the same choice every day to ensure that their children have enough to eat.

No comments: