Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Food Stamp Challenge Journey

By Brenda Rupp, The Family Investment Administration, Maryland Department of Human Resources

I wanted to participate in the Food Stamp Challenge for two reasons. One is to bring awareness to the “powers that be” that people with special dietary needs due to health reasons (Diabetes, Chron’s Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, etc.) need to eat a healthy, whole foods diet. Essentially, this means eating fruits, fresh or frozen vegetables, protein, beans/legumes and nuts – no processed foods. This is very hard to do on $3 a day. My second reason for taking this challenge was because not to long ago, my family and I prepared and served a meatloaf dinner at the only overnight homeless shelter in Harford County. We do this on the 15th of each month with our Church. I did not eat dinner that night with the people we served because I do not eat red meat because of my dietary issues. When asked by one of the ladies who was staying at the shelter why I was not eating, my response was “I can’t eat this food”. I said it assuming she would understand what I meant (because of dietary issues), however this was not the case and she was offended. She said, “When you are hungry and homeless you take what you can get and don’t complain about it”. She then said something that really stuck with me, “Everyone should have to walk a mile in the shoes of those less fortunate”.

My First Challenge

Before going to the grocery store, I prepared a menu for my meals. I realized immediately that I would not be able to afford to eat that way I am accustomed. I have Chron’s disease and have it under control for the most part by eating a whole foods diet. I stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I knew I would not be able to afford to by fresh vegetables and fruit on $3 a day, let alone meat. I thought of some foods that would make me feel full but still healthy. I went to Food Lion and was happy to say that most of my purchases were on sale. Thank goodness or I would have not had much at all in my cart. I purchased eggs for my protein because I could not afford meat. I can’t have lunch meat because it's processed. I bought oatmeal, brown rice, bananas, two apples, pre-packaged lettuce mix, salad dressing, cup o’ noodles and rice cakes. I actually had boxes of macaroni and cheese that were on sale for $0.33 a box. I was so excited I put 3 in my cart and then realized I had to buy milk and butter to make it, so I put it back. At the check out, I told the cashier I was taking the food stamp challenge. He laughed when I told him I had only $3 per day to spend. He said the items in my cart are what he consumes in a day. He looked to be about 21 and about 6ft. 4in so I think he was probably right.

Tomorrow: My Second Challenge

No comments: